Sunday, January 28, 2007

Finances

Well another day struggling with depression. I just wanted to stay in bed. But I didn't, which is a good sign. At least not all day. The majority of the day but not all day. I was able to read some things that I needed/wanted to read. I was able to work on an assignment with husband. The assignment came from Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course http://www.daveramsey.com/ that we are taking through our parish. The assignment is about getting real with where your money goes every month or in other words budgeting.

Fiances is definitely an issue related to Bipolar disorder. Addictive behavior is component of bipolar disease. The addiction can be substance abuse, sex, gambling, food or even shopping. For me, shopping and food are my addictive behaviors. Buying a lot of things, even groceries, is a sign for me to evaluate where I am on the continuum. I can try to justify the spending by saying "its groceries" or "it was a bargain " or "you needed work pants". The problem is I buy 15 boxes of mac n cheese, or I buy things that I want on sale rather than things we absolutely need. And there are very few things that one absolutely needs other than food. Or I buy 5 pairs of work pants just in case because they are on sale even though the money could be used on other more pressing things.

I have found that going to Walmart, Meijier or Target Superstores can be a very taxing experience for me. I go in for groceries - the necessities- and come out $100.00 later with items that I hadn't planned on buying but I figure - I am here, what the hell!

Well my son is stirring. He went to bed early because of some poor choices on his part and some low patience on my part. Ah, the parenting side of mothering with bipolar 2. Discuss that at another time.

Breathe!

1 comment:

Susanne said...

You didn't stay in bed and that really is a good sign. Take care.